07 12 / 2011
mulled wine or glühwein in german is a most delicious addition to any wintery occasion. i was first introduced to it by a good friend and was hooked ever since. obviously this recipe is open to all sorts of interpretation. so experiment and enjoy!
- 1 bottle of dry red wine
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 oranges, sliced
- 6 sticks of cinnamon
- 8-10 cloves
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 3-5 anis (whole)
- optional ingredients: cardamom, nutmeg (to taste), 1 cup of brandy
- Pour the red wine into a large pot and begin heating over low heat (don’t boil).
- Add cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and anis (and optional ingredients to taste).
- Heat thouroughly, then add the sliced oranges and lemon.
- Simmer the mixture about 45 minutes over low heat (make sure not to boil the wine).
- Have a try and add more sugar if you want to; then strain and serve the drink hot in prewarmed glasses or mugs.
- Garnish with orange slices or a cinnamon stick and enjoy your traditional German mulled wine.
Permalink 9 notes